While I was sitting at a session during a journalism forum someone asked me if I was a "Skyper". As I am thinking of a way to answer this question, I then as myself, what is a skyper? Before actually verbalizing the quesition I figured out that the root word in "Skyper" was Skype. Skype is software that enables the world's conversations, (skype.com). I then aswered, "well occasionally". I have a skype account, however I very rarely use it, and when I do, I only use it to talk to my friends back home who I would not see for months living in a city that is a three hour drive away.
The person that asked me if I was a "Skyper" was a very professional person who has been successful for years. I wondered how did they know about skype. It boggled me that someone of her magnitude would interest themselves in an activity that was popular among college students. Little did I know, there was more to Skype then I thought. The woman explained to me that several people around the world as well as businesses use Skype to make free video and voice calls, send instant messages and share files with other Skype users. I did not know that something I thought was just a social aspect amongst my peers was a new technological resource that has not only molded friendships, but sustained business deals and produced important interviews as well. This shows that social networking goes beyond websites, but has made technological advancements as well.
I wasnt aware that skype was use in the professional bussiness world. It only makes sense. Bussiness are starting to use social network as form of publication and promotion of their company. My job jcpennies even has a facebook page. Skype is a program that i didnt pay much attention to but guess in the world of international bussiness, this program is very essential.
ReplyDelete