Friday, October 1, 2010

The Advancement of Social Media Networks Overview

    As I began searching for a blog topic I decided to brainstorm about things that interest me or better yet, an action that I am frequently involved in. I came to the conclusion that I may be a Facebook junkie. As a think a little further about my so-called "diagnosis", theoretically, a junkie is someone who is consumed by an addiction. I would have to say that any free time that I have where I am not studying or preoccupied with friends and family I am on Facebook. Facebook is the latest and most prominate social network to date. Social networks were created as a form of communication via internet to build relations among people. 
    
     There are several types of social networks with different purposes. There are the ones that people use to find long lost friends and family such as Classmates.com. There are also networks for business purposes as well such as Linkedln.com. Facebook.com for example was mainly created for networking. Although these networks were created for "friendly" usage, I feel as though certain social networks have been used to get people's personal information, in order to take advantage of them. Certain dating networks such as Match.com have been used to sexually abuse the users. It has been instances where people set up a profile pretending to be a certain person and agree to meet each other and sexually abuse them. The abuse of social networking has expanded, and it has become a danger to provide personal information online even for networking purposes.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!!! I had no idea that sicko people were using dating networks as a tool to sexually assualt/abuse someone. Dang, folks gotta watch what they put on these social network sites. You never know what you may be telling folks about you beyond what has actually been written. It seems like everytime someone comes up with something that's positive, someone else comes around to turn it into something negative. Oh well, be conscious and protect yourself!!!

    ReplyDelete