Since social media is a group of Internet-based applications created in the U.S. it never occurred to me that social media networks were readily available outside of the U.S. When I discovered social media existed in foreign countries, I read an articled that discussed how social media uses marketing tactics as a key strategy for any business's global marketing communication strategy.
According to data published by Internet World Stats in June 2010, the top five countries with the highest proportion of Internet users are China with 21.4%, the USA with 12.2%, Japan with 5.0%, India with 4.1% and Brazil with 3.9%. I was definitely shocked that the U.S. was not number one, however I was not shocked that China beat put the U.S. because it is the world's second largest economy.
When I stumbled across an article entitled "Majority of Twitter Accounts Are Outside the U.S." I was very interested because I never would have thought that an American Phenomenon would be so popular outside of the country. When I started thinking about it I thought, well maybe this is not as absurd as I would think. American entertainers are famous over seas so why not the social media networks? The article states, According to stats just released from Twitter more than 60% of Twitter users reside outside the United States. International expansion has been on the rise since last year, when Twitter began launching in languages other than English.
With this being said it brought up a conversation that I had with a family member of mine as we discussed how Wikipedia, user-contributed online encyclopedia, plans to open its first non-US office, Wikimedia, in India as it seeks to take advantage of the country’s open Internet culture. This shows how popular Americanized networks are becoming more an more used outside of the U.S. that they have to create a foreign operating office. In my opinion its only a matter of time when all major American social media networks become direct to foreign countries.
No comments:
Post a Comment