Sunday, November 14, 2010

Myspace vs. Facebook

     I signed up for a Myspace account in 2005 when I was a sophomore in high school. In my opinion I was a late Myspace bloomer, so to speak. Most of my peers had Myspace accounts since we were in middle school, eighth grade to be exact. At that point in time I would have to say that my social life was in limbo and there was no need, in my opinion. During those years I felt that Myspace was a network for middle and high school students to create a profile for themselves and communicate via Internet with people they were going to see in first period the next morning. Therefore, I felt that there was no need for me to be involved in that aspect of social media networking. However, one day the investigative journalist came out of me and I began to become curious. I then created an account and it was fun for a while. When I say fun I mean, creating the page with several visual effects for backgrounds, and threading information, videos, songs, pictures etc. After changing my back ground several times and uploading every picture I had ever taken, Mypace became boring for me. I realized that I would be wasting so much time out of my day for no apparent reason. In my opinion I feel as though people who used or currently still use Myspace had no "real' reason for that particular network.
     Then came Facebook. I learned about facebook when I was a senior in high school, and just like Myspace I was a late bloomer. However, I created and still have a Facebook account because in my opinion it is more than just a social website, it is business and personally oriented as well. I feel that the limit of manual graphic, and the ability to communicate with the event setups and the status updates gives this network an age limit. My roommate once told me that she did not get involved with Facebook until late high school because she thought that it was ultimately for college students. I believe that although it should not have an age limit, certain people should reframe. Facebook has opened so many opportunities for me as far as networking is concerned it saddened me to see how students are being bullied and loosing there lives over a simple status update.
    Ultimately, I believe that Facebook is for a more mature audience, and has certain aspect to it that can obtain that audience. I would not consider it a network that has come to override Myspace, but for it to be more of a more developed version, or "upper echelon of media networks" as a classmate stated to me one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment